House Fire Started in Laundry Room

September 29, 2011

09/30/11 It appears that a fire in the laundry room of a home on the city’s south east side Wednesday event cause extensive damage to the structure.

A 9-1-1 call at 5:17 Wednesday sent the Plymouth Fire Department to 317 Ewing Street for a structure fire.  Emergency units responding said thick dark smoke was billowing from the home and fire was already showing at the rear of the home.

Owner, Patricia Baca was home at the time with her two young children.  They were able to exit the house prior to firefighters arriving on site.

Plymouth Fire Chief Andy Metsker said the home sustained heavy damage to the kitchen and laundry room area with additional heat and smoke damage throughout the home.  He had no damage estimate.

The preliminary investigation shows that the fire started in the laundry room area in the clothes dryer.

Fire fighters were on the scene for 2 hours and 20 minutes and there were no reported injuries of either the homeowner or firefighters.

Chief Metsker wants to remind everyone to check their smoke detectors.  Make sure they are operational and homes should have a minimum of one per floor of the home.  Metsker said, “National Fire Prevention Week is October 9th through the 15th and that’s a perfect time to check your smoke detectors.”

(WTCA has a video clip of the fire on their front page at the bottom.)