Attorney General Todd Rokita warns Hoosiers of crafty scammers before heading to the greatest spectacle in racing. During large sporting events, con artists are exceptionally prevalent and can fool even the most experienced fans.
“As Indiana prepares to welcome tens of thousands of people to the Indianapolis 500, I encourage Hoosiers to exercise caution before buying tickets, paying for parking, or making any online reservations,” Attorney General Rokita said. “If you believe you’ve fallen victim to any type of scam, please contact my office to file a complaint.”
Many counterfeit passes and tickets look authentic, but track staff can spot a fake right away. In the past, race fans have made it all the way to the gate only to be turned away for fake parking passes or tickets. If the deals sound too good to be true, it usually is.
Attorney General Rokita offers the following tips to avoid scams during this year’s race:
- Purchase items directly from IMS whenever possible.
- Consider your source. Know the difference between a professional ticket broker (a legitimate and accredited reseller), a ticket scalper (an unregulated and unlicensed ticket seller) and a scammer selling scam tickets.
- Know the refund policy. You should only purchase tickets from a ticket reseller that provides clear details about the terms of the transaction.
- Use payment methods that come with protection. Always use a credit card so you may have some recourse if the tickets are not as promised.
- Call the hotel directly before your trip to let them know you’re on the way.
- Check the reviews for the hotel or wherever you’re staying.
- Look for warning signs, like prices that seem a little too low or website addresses that seem odd.
- Get email confirmations for all reservations and tickets.
Hoosiers are encouraged to contact the Office of the Indiana Attorney General regarding any suspected scams or scam attempts. You can file a complaint online by visiting indianaconsumer.com or by calling 1-800-382-5516.
Provided by the Indiana Attorney General’s Office