Allie Carter, 25 years old from Avilla was getting up to reposition during a waterfowl hunt at Tri-County Fish and Wildlife Area. She laid her 12 gauge shotgun on the ground at her feet. As she was getting up, her dog, which is ironically named Trigger, stepped on top of the shotgun depressing the trigger. The shotgun went off and Allie was shot in the foot at point blank range. Allie suffered injuries to her left foot and toes. The safety of the firearm was not on.
DNR officials say Allie had never completed a hunter education course.
She was transported to Kosciusko Community Hospital and later transferred to Parkview Hospital in Fort Wayne.
The public should be mindful that accidents like this happen when you toe the line with safety. Always point the muzzle of a firearm in a safe direction and use the safety mechanism.
Anyone born after December 31, 1986 is required to take a certified hunter education course before purchasing a hunting license. To find a free class near you visit dnr.in.gov.