The Marshall County Traffic Safety Partnership is teaming up with law enforcement from across the state to urge drivers to buckle up ahead of the national Click It or Ticket high-visibility seat belt enforcement effort.

The national seat belt campaign, which coincides with the Memorial Day holiday, runs from May 20 to June 2. The overtime patrols are funded by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) with grants administered by the Indiana Criminal Justice Institute (ICJI).

“We want seat belt use to be an automatic habit for drivers and passengers alike,” said ICJI Traffic Safety Director. “Buckling up is the simplest thing you can do to limit injury or save your life during a crash.”

Indiana’s seat belt use rate in 2023 was 93.2%, which is good — but it can be better. The other 6.8% still need to be reminded that seat belts save lives.

Research has repeatedly demonstrated the safety benefits of seat belts. Buckling up can reduce the risk of injury or death in a crash by up to 65%. Without a seat belt fastened, people can be ejected from a vehicle and killed.

For more information on the Click It or Ticket seat belt enforcement mobilization, please visit