At a meeting held on May 16th members of VFW Post 1162 voted to surrender its Charter. This ends eighty-five years of continued community service.
VFW Post 1162 was mustered on April 22, 1938, with Tom Millea as the first Commander. The Organization & rsquo;s first home was on LaPorte Street. In May of 1950 property on Lake Avenue was purchased. Construction of the first phase (basement) was soon completed. The second story was added several years later.
The Post held a major event in 2013 celebrating its 75th anniversary. With revenue declining, the building was sold in 2022. Members have continued to meet monthly at The Life Enrichment Center in Plymouth. As the pool of members who were capable and willing to take office also declined, the members felt that the only option was to surrender the Charter while it remained in good standing with the Indiana and National VFW.
It is with real pride that VFW was able to give 85 years of support to this community. Members would also like to extend their sincere thanks to all who have supported VFW Post 1162 and the veterans of this community during this time.
All current members will be moved to an & ldquo; At Large” Membership by the National VFW. It is urged that members transfer to an area post to continue the VFW’s mission of local support for both community and our brothers and sisters in arms.