Extreme cold temperatures may create safety hazards and also lead to
increased energy usage and higher bills. With frigid weather expected over the next few days,
NIPSCO offers tips to prepare customers to stay safe and warm, as well as save on energy costs.

As temperatures drop to low levels, staying warm becomes a top priority. Customers implementing
ways to ensure their home is comfortable are reminded to do so safely.

• Keep vents clear. Be sure to clear snow and ice from intake, exhaust and/or make-up air
vents. Keeping those vents clear can help customers avoid carbon monoxide buildup and
operational issues with appliances.
• Space heaters should be used with caution. When using, place the space heater on a hard,
non-flammable surface away from bedding, drapes, furniture and flammable products.
• Ensure appliances are installed in accordance with local building codes and manufacturer’s
instructions and specifications
• Never use a stove or oven as a source of home heating; ovens are designed to heat food and
should only be operated with the door closed
• Don’t burn charcoal or run a generator indoors or in an enclosed space
• Clean the chimney and check for blockage at least once a year before using the fireplace
• Always keep our natural gas meter clear and visible so it is accessible for maintenance or in
the event of an emergency; never let snow completely cover the meter and don’t use a shovel
or hammer to hit the equipment to break up snow or ice buildup
• If you smells gas or think there may be a gas leak, stop what you are doing, immediately leave
the area, and then call 911 and NIPSCO’s emergency line at 1-800-634-3524.
• If you experience a power outage, report it online at NIPSCO.com/out, text the word “Out” to
444111 or via NIPSCO’s mobile app.
• For electric emergencies, including a downed power line or any other electric-related
situation, call NIPSCO’s Customer Call Center at 1-800-464-7726.

• If there are concerns of a carbon monoxide build-up, or if you are experiencing symptoms of
carbon monoxide poisoning, go outside immediately and call 911.
o Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, non-corrosive gas created when fuels (such
as gasoline, wood, natural gas, propane or oil) burn incompletely.
o The symptoms of carbon monoxide are headaches, dizziness, nausea, vomiting,
irregular breathing, and feeling ill or tired while at home, but fine when away.

For more winter weather and home safety tips, visit: NIPSCO.com/homesafety.