Donavon N. Holderread, 73, passed away on Saturday, July 31, 2021 at St. Joseph Regional Medical Center, Mishawaka.
Born on March 10, 1948 in Plymouth, Indiana he was the son of Othel and Ivis (Renz) Holderread. He attended Tyner High School and then transferred to John Glenn High School graduating with the class of 1967. On December 21, 1968 he married Barbara Hughes at the Plymouth Church of the Brethren.
Donavon proudly served his country in the U.S. Army in the Vietnam War attached to the 2nd Armored Division, 7th Battalion, 6th Infantry Division Alpha Company of Ft. Hood, Texas. He was awarded a Combat Infantry Badge for combat actions and the Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry. Donavon was also awarded the Expert Infantryman Badge, an award that all infantrymen aspire to achieve. He was honorably discharged at the rank of Sergeant after 2 years of service.
After his service he attended Ancilla College receiving an Associate’s Degree in Business. Donavon worked for the Marshall County Sheriff’s Office as a Jailer and then for the U.S. Post Office as a mail carrier for 19 years until his retirement. Working multiple jobs to do whatever it took to provide for his family.
Donavon was the past commander for the Plymouth VFW Post #1162 and DAV Chapter 42, often extending and helping veterans with their benefits. He enjoyed wood carving and genealogy. In the 1980’s he started a home computer club. Donavon enjoyed going to classic car shows and amateur ham radio.
He is survived by his wife Barbara of Plymouth; sons: Donavon (Angela) Holderread Jr. of McDonough, GA; Brian (Chasity) Holderread of Warsaw; Jason Holderread of Plymouth; sister Linda Holderread Pearl of Walkerton; granddaughters: Kelsey Back, Lindsay Holderread, Josie Holderread, grandsons: Corey Holderread, Matthew Holderread, Jobe Holderread, as well as several nieces and nephews and other extended family.
Donavon is preceded in death by his father Othel, mother Ivis and brother Johnie “Butch” Wallace.
A memorial gathering will take place on Saturday, August 7, 2021 from 11- 1 p.m. at the Johnson-Danielson Funeral Home, 1100 N. Michigan Street, Plymouth. Following the memorial gathering, there will be military honors rendered outside at the Plymouth VFW Post#1162 at 2:30 p.m.
Burial will take place in the Marion National Cemetery, Marion IN at later date.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be sent to the Marshall County Humane Society, 11165 13th Rd. Plymouth, IN 46563 or to the Plymouth American Legion Post #27, 1040 E Jefferson St, Plymouth, IN 46563.
PLEASE NOTE: The family requests for visitors to wear masks and maintain social distancing.
Condolences may be sent to the family through the website: www.johnson-danielson.com<http://www.johnson-danielson.com>
- Triton’s Viers picked for IBCA/IHSAA underclass showcase
- Seven Lady Lions qualify for regional
- South Bend Cubs announce upcoming game/promotion schedule
- Hensley Fabricating fined $250 for Indiana Campaign Finance Law Violation Election Board Will Not Forward to Prosecution
- County Drainage Board Accepts Bates Farm Ditch into Regulated System
- County BZA Approves Special Use for Dog Kennel on Plymouth Goshen Trail on
- City Works to Receive Reimbursement for Demolition at 701 W. Lake Ave. on
- Temporary Change To Visitation Guidelines At St. Joseph Regional Hospital on
- County Council Reviews 2020 Budget Requests, $962,000 Needs to be Cut on
- Tattoo Parlor Granted Variance to Operate at 100 S. Michigan Street on