FIre_Lilac Road_1Firefighters from the Plymouth Fire Department responded to the call of a structure fire Tuesday evening, April 24th on Lilac Road.

Fire_Lilac Road_3Plymouth Fire Chief Rod Miller said the fire started as an accidental grease fire in the kitchen.  By the time the fire department arrived the blaze was going strong at the back of the house in the kitchen area.  There was substantial smoke from the blaze.

Fire_Lilac Road_2Chief Miller said the kitchen and dining room area sustained heavy fire and water damage while the rest of the home had heavy smoke damage.

The volunteer firefighters were able to save three cats and a dog from the fire.  No injuries were reported.

FIre_Lilac RoadThe Plymouth Fire Department was assisted by the LaPaz Fire Department tankers.

Wednesday afternoon about 3:30 the Plymouth Fire Department responded to a gas leak at 118 North Michigan Street, behind City Hall.

Chief Miller said the renovation project of City Hall was excavating to put in a storm drain when they hit a 1½ inch service line which was connected to a 4 inch gas main in the alley.

The entire block was evacuated due to the location of the leak and wind direction.

NIPSCO had a crew in town and within a short time had the gas leak under control.