As Indiana’s 2017 Stellar Community for Division II, Culver hosted Lieutenant Governor Suzanne Crouch and officials from multiple state agencies for their “Stellarbation” at the Culver Beach Lodge Wednesday afternoon.
The free event was open to the public and they were there in full force packing the lodge to standing room only.
Members of Culver’s Stellar committee presented the program which introduced the public to the project under the Stellar Plan and allowed them to view the promotional video created for Culver’s applicaion. They also took time to thank many individuals, organizations, businesses and volunteers for partnering with the project to make it a huge success. Committee members also reviewed the local efforts on the proposed projects since the Stellar distinction offers the opportunity for many grants but local matches are still needed to show local support for the projects.
Lieutenant Governor Susan Crouch told those present what an honor it was to recognize Culver. She told them, “You are blazing the trail for others.” Crouch said you had a dream that turned into a vision and because of all the hard work that went into the Stellar application process, you will see the reality through more hard work.
Following the presentation, an open house was held in the Beech Lodge. Residents were able to ask questions and find out more information about Culver’s Stellar projects and light refreshments were served.
Potential projects in Culver’s Stellar Project List include:
- Sand Hill Farms Housing, a workforce housing development project on West Jefferson Street
- Lake Maxinkuckee Bike and Pedestrian Trail
- Major renovations of Culver Park’s and our historic Beach Lodge on Lake Maxinkuckee
- Creating a western gateway signage when entering Culver on West Jefferson Street
- Improved bicycle and pedestrian connectivity with additional sidewalks and connecting trails
- Developing a new sports park at Culver Community Schools; and improving recreational access to and programming on Lake Maxinkuckee
The Stellar Communities Designation Program is a multi-agency partnership designed to recognize communities that adopt best practices and address issues related to population growth, attract private investment, increase educational attainment, and provide economic improvement in their communities.