Fire_Riverside_1The Plymouth Fire Department was dispatched to Riverside Intermediate School Monday after at 12:15 for the odor of smoke in the 6th grade hallway at the school.

Fire_Riverside_2The building was evacuated and students stood in the parking lot for several minutes while firefighters investigated the smell.

Fire_Riverside_3Because of the cold temperature and the issue being at the opposite end of the building, students were moved to the school’s gymnasium while school maintenance officials and firefighters determined the cause of the smoke.

Fire_Riverside_4Within minutes the cause was determined to be a roof-top furnace motor that had malfunctioned.

Fire_riverside_5Students at Riverside Intermediate School were allowed back in their class rooms in less than an hour.