NIPSCO has received an influx in calls from residential and business customers reporting several hundred cases of unknown callers claiming to be affiliated with the company and demanding payment through a prepaid card.
Some reports have indicated that scammers have appeared in person knocking on doors, while other reports have indicated that the company’s 1-800 customer service phone number was cloned to appear on caller IDs.
NIPSCO is proactively notifying customers to remind them of important safety tips to avoid becoming a victim and emphasize that these calls are not from, or affiliated with, the company.
· Call us first – If you are not sure about a phone call, email, program, offer or person claiming to be affiliated with NIPSCO, please call our 24-hour Customer Care Center at 1-800-464-7726.
· Guard your personal information – Never give personal information, including your NIPSCO account number, Social Security numbers and banking information, to unconfirmed sources. We only ask for a Social Security number when establishing new service or verifying a customer’s identity.
· Know your payment options – We will never ask for a pre-paid debit card or money gram as a payment method. Learn more about our payment options at NIPSCO.com/billing-payment-options so you can spot a potential scam.
· Never agree to meet in person – Some scams ask customers to meet them in person to make payments with cash or prepaid cards, which you should avoid.
If someone visits your home or business:
· Ask to see ID – Our employees and contractors carry photo ID badges and will gladly show you upon request.
· Use caution with cash – Our employees do not collect cash payments nor deliver cash refunds or rebates to customers. Refrain from sending cash through the mail to prevent loss or theft.
For more information about scams, visit NIPSCO.com/staysafe.