CulverLibrary_internetCulver-Union Township Public Library announces the completion of its computer network infrastructure upgrade project, which will offer much faster Internet access to our patrons.

Most of the network switches and firewall have been replaced with brand-new equipment, offering a 10 times speed increase and better reliability than the previously-installed equipment.

New state-of-the-art 802.11ac wireless access points provide much-improved coverage throughout the building, are ceiling mounted to stay out of the way, and powered via Power over Ethernet, so wireless Internet access will continue to function for a limited time even if there is a power outage.

The library’s Internet connection is now much faster, with connection speeds moving up from 15 Mbps to 100 Mbps for both uploads and downloads. Patrons are encouraged to bring in their computers, tablets, smartphones, and other devices to make use of these improved services.

In addition to our meeting room improvements project with projection screens and equipment for teleconferencing, the library now has three meeting rooms available with projectors and high-speed Internet access.

CUTPL IT Manager Andrew Baker says “These upgrades will increase efficiency, performance, and reliability of network operations, and allow us to provide much higher quality of service to our community.”

Federal government grant money from the E-Rate category 2 program was used to fund 80% of the cost of these network upgrades, with the library covering the remaining 20%.


Photo: IT Manager Andrew Baker