08/17/12 Indiana properties that have been placed on the State and National historic registers since April 2011 were honored by DNR Division of Historic Preservation & Archaeology (DHPA) on Aug. 9, Hoosier Heritage Day at the Indiana State Fair.

The ceremony took place at the DNR Amphitheater, an outdoor facility on the fairgrounds adjacent to the Natural Resources Building.

Properties recognized locally were from Argos and vicinity and Plymouth and vicinity.

  The Argos Izaak Walton League property near Argos is a total of 17 acres of constructed fishing ponds, structures and buildings developed as a fish hatchery and meeting hall for the organization dedicated to the conservation of natural habitat for wildlife. The organization was established in 1926 and in 1929 they purchased and developed the first two acres of property.  In 1934 the remaining 15 acres were purchased.

Through an agreement with the U.S. Bureau of Fisheries, a clubhouse was constructed under the Neal Deal projects of that era. The building was constructed between 1935 and 1937 with glacial stones in the Craftsman style.

 There are two buildings on the property, the clubhouse and a smaller wood-framed building that also operated as a clubhouse.  There are 7 contributing structures on the property including the stone gateway, 2 artesian wells, 3 stone picnic tables/benches, and a sluice; these date to the New Deal construction site.

  The Lewis & Sarah Boggs House is located on the north side of 14th Road, a mile east of Michigan Road in Center Township.  The house is an excellent and well-preserved example of a Greek Revival style I-House with rear wing.  The house was constructed by Lewis Boggs, a Marshall County pioneer,    in about 1855 on property that was the homestead of a large farming operation.  The house is the only remaining contributing building on the site, however the remnants of a large barn are still extant.

   Another property honored with a historic register was the Ramsay-Fox Round Barn and Farm on 9th Road in Plymouth.  The farmstead in West Township was established in 1900 on property that had been in the ownership of the Ramsay family since 1839.  A farmhouse, privy, and milk house were constructed on the farm, as well as other buildings that no longer exist.

  The most impressive building on the property is a true-circular round barn constructed by George Ramsay in about 1911, after the construction of the farmhouse.  These buildings together with their location on a slight knoll and fencing around the property provide a picturesque rural setting on the south side of 9th Road.  There are four contributing buildings on site; the farmhouse, milk house, privy, and round barn.  There is also a contributing structure of a windmill.

  The final honoree was the Hoham-Klinghammer-Weckeler House and Brewery Site at 1715 Lake Avenue in Plymouth.  This property has the distinction of being the most legendary and most fabled location in Marshall County.  Situated on Plymouth’s southwest side, the house was constructed in 1880 and has a position of considerable prominence on a slight hill at a sharp curve on Highway 17.

  The house was constructed as part of an earlier brewery operation that began in 1857.  Part of the brewery that includes two large brick vaults and a brick concrete well remains west of the house.  The house, which stylistically is a mixture of the Stick Style and Queen Ann Style.