01/20/11 Marshall County Commissioner Jack Roose was awakened by his wife Dawn Wednesday morning about 1:15.  She told him she though the garage was on fire.  The north side of their 30 feet by 50 feet pole barn was totally engulfed.   Jack attempted to rescue a couple of the vehicles parked inside on the south side but was unable to.  As he slid open the door the smoke rolled out and he knew it was too late.

Firefighters from three departments spent several hours on the scene battling the blaze that totally destroyed the pole-barn and everything in it.  The Roose’s lost a 2008 Ford Pick-up, a 1996 pick-up, a 2004 Chrysler, a 1999 explorer and a 4-wheeler. Along with everything else a guy has in their man-cave…tools, equipment and more. 

Firefighters from Polk, North Townships along with Plymouth battled the blaze during the wee hours of the morning. 

The State Fire Marshall’s Office conducted an investigation Wednesday morning and ruled out an arson fire but they were not able to determine a cause.

Although there was a wood-burner in the garage that was lit, the fire started on the north side of the building that is not heated.

Damage is estimated to be in the area of $150,000 to $200,000.